Sunday, June 6, 2010

Book review: The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

I have to admit that when I heard that the fourth book selection for book club was The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, I was less than thrilled. The book was written from a dog's viewpoint, and the dog's owner was a race car driver. I am not a fan of dogs and I have little to no interest in race cars. Plus, it was known before-hand that the dog would die.

We decided on another book selection for the month. Unfortunately (or fortunately!) that book was difficult to obtain online or in libraries because it was an older publication, therefore, The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein was selected.

I was able to grab a copy at Target and start reading right away. I was pleasantly surprised. I felt sorry for the dog. I empathized with him. I AGREED with him.

I. Liked. The. Dog.

I liked Enzo the dog. And I related to the owner. Viewing the world through the eyes of a dog kind of makes one appreciate being human. Enzo believed that when a GOOD dog dies, he becomes human in his next life. That was his goal. To become human. To have a tongue made for articulating his words, thumbs to grasp things...

His insight into the world was dead-on; it was amazing. And the art of racing TOTALLY correlates to "the art of" life. Who knew?! For example, "The visble becomes inevitable." How true is that? Set a goal, focus on the "prize", and it will happen. Or, "No race has ever been won in the first corner; many races have been lost there."

Perhaps I think the book is wonderful because I went into the book thinking I wouldn't like it... or perhaps it really is a good book. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I felt anxious at times, I cheered, laughed some more, and cried again. Enzo's owner goes through difficult times, and Enzo is there with him every step of the way.

I highly recommend The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to check this out. I've heard lots of great things about this book! Thanks for sharing Keri! :)

    ReplyDelete