Saturday, January 15, 2011

Book review: The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

I'm behind in my book club book reviews. My apologies! Where does the time go?

October's book selection was The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. I "discovered" the book from a friend who posted its book trailer on Facebook (http://www.physickbook.com/trailer.html). The trailer made me want to IMMEDIATELY buy the book! I could not wait to sit down and read! I'm fascinated by the Salem Witch Trials and that period of time.

The book was interesting, and although the story line was realistic with regards to researching and writing a dissertation, I found myself bored at times. However, there were moments in the book when I could not put it down! The author also threw in an obligatory romance to spice things up, but it was very predictable...even for someone who doesn't read romance novels.

Similar in format to Sarah's Key, the novel moves back and forth between time periods. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane moves from the summer of 1991 in Salem, Massachusetts, to the 17th-century witch trial era. It is in the 17th century era that the reader discovers that Connie has ties to the witch trials, and that's what kept me reading.

Harvard graduate Connie Goodwin planned to spend her summer doing research for her doctoral dissertation, but her mother asked her to handle the sale of Connie's grandmother's abandoned home near Salem. Reluctantly she agreed. The house is falling apart, has no electricity, and no phone; quite a change for Connie.

As she cleans up the house one room at a time, she discovers an ancient key hidden inside a seventeenth-century Bible. The key contains an obviously old piece of parchment paper with "Deliverance Dane" written on it. This discovery intrigues Connie and makes her want to find out who this woman was, AND find the physick book and its secret recipes.

I found the ending of the book predictable on two levels, but won't spoil it for you. All and all, I'd give the book a 5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment